Sunday, December 5, 2010

New England fall foliage recap


 I would really love to hear about your New England fall foliage trip this autumn. Did you find great color or did you get here on one of the weekends that we got hit by wind and rain?
I'd like to also hear what you did if you couldn't find good color. Did you have a back-up plan? Or were you flying by the seat of your pants and the reservations be damned?
Also what blog or website did you find was the most value added source? I just created the Jeff Foliage website (hey all the really good names were taken)! Check it out and let me know what you think...
I know many of my readers are vicariously traveling through New England with me and if you didn't get up here this fall, I'd love to hear back on whether I kept you entertained with my ramblings in search of color.

Fall Foliage Recap

This year the summer was hot and dry and the result was had the color starting to show in significant amounts in the middle of Sept and this is closer to years ago (8 plus) versus the more recent past where the color really had been starting about the last week of Sept in the North East Kingdom and northern Maine. {Click here for peak foliage forecast map at Yankee}
I probably sound like a broken record when I mention that every year is different. This year, (again) a bunch of folks were caught off guard and yes, I was also skeptical on the reports of waaay early color! (Even I, was used to looking for 29 Sept to start traveling and not 15 Sept.)
One big problem reported was that perfect peak color was difficult to find because many trees were stressed by the overly dry conditions. But these same dry conditions while starting some trees early also made some trees stay green until late in October. (actually worked in our favor)
What this did for us was prevent the Nor'easter from removing all the leaves in one big blow. It would take down all the peak leaves but we had a ton of trees that had yet to turn. So if you were lucky you still had a good opportunity to see great color. (The last shot was taken on 26 Oct)
Well I have a bunch of little stories I'll continue to post in 2010 and I hope to hear from you in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment, it has been put into a queue until I can take a look at it... :-)
Thanks