Friday, December 13, 2013

Snowy Owls arrive in New England

I met with a couple of photographer friends up in Biddeford Maine yesterday. Our goal was to find some of the snowy owls that were visiting from the Arctic and Canadian northern territories. You can view the following image on Fine Art America. It's available in many sizes of prints both framed and even cards.
http://vistaphotography.artistwebsites.com/featured/snowy-owl-in-morning-light-jeff-folger.html
They call this an Irruption. What this means is that the population of Snowy owls for one reason or another grew too large for the population of their primary food source. (The Arctic lemming) This causes the Owls to head south in search of food. We in New England happen to have lots of voles which are similar to lemmings and the owls will often make their home here in New England.



The owls look for an environment that is similar to the tundra and they end up near the seashore or in fields or grassy marshes where they can hunt for their prey.
They enjoy being high up on telephone poles or the rooftops of homes where they can look out into the fields with their sharp eyesight and look for their next meal.

Their biggest threat tends to be man, namely photographers who dearly love to follow them from telephone pole to rooftop in hopes of seeing one actively hunting. Most of the ones I find seem content to sit instead of hunt so I sit and wait for the time when I get lucky enough for one to leave their perch and find and dispatch a meal... 
Until that time I will be patient and wait for my chance. If I'm patient they will sooner or later go hunting and if I'm lucky I'll be there.
Jeff Folger

2 comments:

  1. For those of us who do what we do, it's an event. I am very happy for you:)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane... we all enjoy the thrill of the hunt for these special creatures.

      Delete

Thanks for the comment, it has been put into a queue until I can take a look at it... :-)
Thanks