Monday, October 4, 2010

Fall Foliage gets a knock down from Nicole but comes back swinging

October has arrived and this year Mother Nature has been causing problems by giving us a real summer with hot temps and this has also led to dry conditions that had the experts scratching their heads (myself included) wondering what sort of fall color we would have.

Well to start off the Yankee Magazine foliage website has a peak foliage map that you can view an approximate guess as to when peak will hit a specific location in New England.

This is the first year that the map was pretty close. You see the map was built on older data and we used to get color earlier then we have in the past 4-5 years. This had lead to folks getting used to seeing shots like this later rather than earlier.

This year the foliage experts thought that the drought conditions might dull down the colors but apparently the color was doing fantastic, up until tropical storm Nicole knocked much of the peak leaves to the ground.
But before you go and cancel your trips! Heed this! The color this year is early but this storm only knocked the leaves down that were at peak. the leaves from the middle of VT and NH were still green so they are now turning and by this weekend they will making the Columbus Day weekend a show not to be missed.  This will also continue into the next couple of weeks as the color flows south into Massachusetts and CT & RI.
Here is a shot from this past Saturday up near Danville Vermont and you can see the color took a hit but it was still great to see.
I have several links for you to visit if you need a foliage fix and either can't get here until the weekend or next year.
First is Northeast foliage website which is a webcam site and you can also see the color change by the minute or the hour at my Jeff-Foliage webcam page.

You can of course follow me on Twitter as I  make reports as foliage_reports and when I'm out and about you can also follow me and ask questions about specific color in locations. I admin the New England Photography Guild page  and the New England fall foliage FB page So you have lots of options for filling your foliage need.


Jeff Folger
My Art and Stock images on Vistaphotography
My Exploring New England fall foliage blog
Join my Facebook fall foliage fans
Follow me on Twitter for foliage updates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment, it has been put into a queue until I can take a look at it... :-)
Thanks